Everything there is to know about a bedside monitor
A bedside monitor is like a display of a computer or a television screen but with a wide number of functions. The Bedside Monitor can measure a person’s heartbeat, SPO2 level, and more. The doctor or nurse can set it according to the requirements of the patient. It attaches with the help of wires called leads, and it has sensors that connect to the body of the patient. Bedside Monitor sensors take readings from the body and send them to the main device using electronic signals, and the readings of a specific function of the body show on the display of the device. The bedside monitor measures the functions of organs or processes accrued in a body. It can measure heart rate, respiratory rate, blood pressure, and temperature. Special roles such as capnography, oximetry, electroencephalography, and pulmonary artery catheter readings are also useful in firm circumstances. This device has a built-in alarm system that gets triggered by the worsening condition of the patient. This way, it notifies the doctor or the nurse to take action. This device was created very carefully, and the programming in its creation is very complex and is done by highly skilled people because a slight error can cause the death of a patient.
History of the bedside monitor
The bedside monitor is one of the greatest inventions in the history of the world. In the old days, with a person admitted to the hospital or any local place where treatment took place, the doctors were unable to monitor the patient's condition continuously. There was no system to notify the doctor that the condition of the patient is worsening. Due to this, the mortality rate was very high. Doctors were unable to know the exact point when the condition of the patient starts to get worse. Most of the time, they were too late to treat the victim at the right time due to which the patient would die. One of the most significant problems faced at that time was with monitoring a person with issues related to his or her brain. Without the bedside monitor, it becomes nearly impossible to examine the activities inside the brain. Due to this, it was impossible to identify problems when they were related to the brain. Some people even died, and no none was able to identify the reason. The creation of the bedside monitor has solved all of those concerns and problems.
Indication of use
Bedside Monitor is useful in examining the vital signs in a person. When a person gets a severe disease or gets involved in an accident, this gadget is attached to them. This equipment examines the vital signs and shows the observer the patient’s condition and how the individual parts are functioning. In the night when the doctor is not present, and the nurse supervises the patient, there are some things the nurses cannot understand. For this purpose, this device has a built-in alarm, which notifies that something is not right. All the other equipment connect to this device, which acts as their output. It shows all of these things at a single place. This instrument can also measure non-invasive blood pressure, ECG, SpO2, temperature, and respiration rate. Bedside Monitor is one of the most critical instruments required to examine the patient’s health. Doctors and nurses rely on these machines for EMR. This helps to visualize and measure patients’ vital signs. If this data is somehow incorrect, the examiners will not be able to take the exact measure. If somehow, there is a delay with the readings, it would be impossible to perform the necessary treatment. Most of the time, it is a requirement for trauma patients. In some cases, it is useful to measure the vital signs of people, helping to keep their health in check and prevent complications in the long term.
- It has a high-quality alarm light visible from all directions: front, left, right, and back. This helps to make the alarm light visible with ease from different angles. It also makes it prominent.
- There are numerous solutions for both screen and cable management, which guarantees a more prepared and well-organized workflow at the bedside.
- This gadget has auto-brightness control, and with this, when the light in the room decreases, the patient is not disturbed at all. Thus, making the device patient-friendly.
- This device is universal and operates in the same way. This helps make it easy to use as when the staff move to another health center, they do not have to learn about the gadget from scratch.
- It has a touch screen display, making its operation and mastering the device easy.
Types of bedside monitors
There are many types of bedside monitors. All of these devices are beneficial in hospitals as without them, examining persons with diseases would be very difficult. Some of these gadgets are as follows:
Standard Bedside Monitors are large and not readily movable from one place to another. So, it becomes challenging to record the vital signs of a person when he or she moves from one place to another, or from the ICU to a room. For this reason, a German company, Drager, developed a tool that can continuously take the readings of the vital signs without any interruptions. This gadget moves from room to room with the patient. The caretaker can easily remove it from the dock with a single hand and examine the readings. The best function of this gadget is that even when removed from the dock, it continues taking the readings that become transferred when placed on a different dock. This way, there is no interruption in the data. When this gadget is placed on the cockpit, it automatically connects to the central server, transferring data to the medical cockpit and control center. Due to this, the data can be visible from other places in the hospital. Its best feature is that when this device connects to the Medical Cockpit, it automatically sets itself for the ward. Another feature is that it has an auto-rotation feature, which helps to view it from different directions and makes it easy to operate.
This product was revolutionary in the world. It brought a change in how to administer to delicate patients. This gadget makes it very easy to monitor cerebral function continuously. This gadget is straightforward to use. It has an online help function that provides a step-by-step procedure on how to set it up and prepare the patient for it, making it very easy to implement in the hospitals. A person can master it within a few hours.
This device has a well-developed software application that provides the user the data and alerts them of any kind of change in cerebral function. It also provides information during clinical consultancy. The basis for this gadget is the Windows operating system. Thus, it provides comprehensive and nonstop security for the data of the diseased. The CMF software ensures that the patient's data is safe, so it encrypts the data, making sure it is safe when accessed from a remote gadget. This gadget has numerous kinds of applications, some of which are listed below:
• It is useful for Hypoxic Ischemic Encephalopathy (HIE)
• It is helpful for newborns who are receiving therapeutic hypothermia.
• Infants with Intraventricular Hemorrhage (IVH) also require this gadget to keep track of them.
• It also monitors newborns with established or assumed seizure activity
• It is useful in Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome (NAS)
• It is a requirement in examining newborns who have undergone Surgical and Cardiac problems.
• It can also be used for newborns with inborn errors of metabolism.
How to use a bedside monitor
- Clean the patient’s body with the help of wet tissues or wipes.
- Connect the gadgets.
- Following this, connect the leads with the sensors.
- Place the sensors on the body of the patient.
- Now start the device.
- The device will begin to examine the vital signs and functions performed in the body.
Complications of using the instrument
As every electronic instrument has some cons, this device also has a few drawbacks, some of which are listed below:
- As this gadget uses electricity to operate, fluctuation in it can damage it.
- This equipment is costly, and its parts are challenging to find.
- If the equipment malfunctions, then the entire treatment, according to the readings, would be incorrect. A slight error can be fatal.
In conclusion, based on the results, this gadget is of great use in hospitals, and it has brought a revolution in medicine. It made doctors and nurses' jobs very easy as they do not have to take the readings manually again and again. It automatically examines everything correctly and by itself. During the surgery or operation, there is no need to examine the vitals manually multiple times. It automatically does all this. In this way, the surgeon can focus entirely on the matter in his or her hand.